Are Eye Exams Covered By Health Insurance?
Yes, vision insurance is designed to reduce your costs for routine preventive eye exams and prescription eyewear such as eyeglasses and contact lenses.
John O’Connor Optometrists have recently become an easy-claim provider for Southern Cross. What that means for you is that if you’re with Southern Cross and you have vision insurance, you can see us for eligible eye care services at either our Newmarket Optometrists or Henderson Optometrists and you won’t have to pay or fill out a claim form.
You don’t have to pay us. We claim from your insurance provider directly. Simply present your Southern Cross Insurance card or use the mobile app at our counter. If your plan covers our optometry services, glasses, frames or contact lenses, you’ll only pay for any remaining contribution you’re responsible for; you don’t have to fill out claim forms or wait for a refund from Southern Cross.
Vision insurance generally covers:
- Basic preventive care such as eye exams and vision tests
- Eyeglass lenses
- Contact lenses
- Eyeglass frames
- Lens protection for glasses, such as scratch-resistant coating.
Regular Eye Tests
Most adults need vision correction: it is estimated that around 66% of the New Zealand population 18 years and over will use glasses, contact lenses, or both.
Eye examinations can detect hidden eye problems, so even those who feel they have perfect vision should have regular vision checks. As we age, we need more frequent vision exams. People with poor vision, a family history of eye disease or a condition that increases the risk of eye disease, such as diabetes, should have more frequent eye exams.
|Recommended eye exam frequency|
|Ages 0-19||At age 6 months, 3 years, 5 years and then every two years|
|Ages 20-54||Every two years|
|Ages 55-64||Every one to two years|
|Ages 65+||Every one to two years|
See us for regular eye tests. If you’re covered, you won’t pay a thing.
Cast an eye over these great deals:
- If you get an eye exam with us and then buy glasses on the same day, you’ll pay nothing for the eye exam. That’s a saving of $65.00! Our comprehensive eye exams include a prescription check, glaucoma check with eye pressure test and cataract assessment.
- Buy new frames and get vision stock lenses free. Stock lenses are hard coated in the range +/- 6.00 DS with up to -2.00 DC astigmatism.
- Get a second pair of glasses and we’ll throw in prescription single vision stock tinted lenses for free.
- Bring in your own frames and we’ll fit a pair of single vision stock lenses with antiglare coating for only $169.00.
Sound like good eye-deals? We think they are. Come in and see us and we’ll get your vision sorted.
We see the best in everyone. To get all your questions about vision insurance answered call 09 522 1283 to speak to our Newmarket optometrists. To speak to an optometrist in Henderson call 09 836 1731.